CTK Exchange
Front Page
Movie shortcuts
Personal info
Reciprocal links
Terms of use
Privacy Policy

Interactive Activities

Cut The Knot!
MSET99 Talk
Games & Puzzles
Eye Opener
Analog Gadgets
Inventor's Paradox
Did you know?...
Math as Language
Things Impossible
My Logo
Math Poll
Other Math sit's
Guest book
News sit's

Recommend this site

Manifesto: what CTK is about Search CTK Buying a book is a commitment to learning Table of content |Store| Things you can find on CTK Chronology of updates Email to Cut The Knot Recommend this page

CTK Exchange

Subject: "volume of an arch"     Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The CTK Exchange This and that Topic #620
Reading Topic #620
Member since Jun-19-05
Jun-19-05, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nvc102 Click to send private message to nvc102 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
"volume of an arch"
   could someone please recommend the formula for calculating the volum of an arch?


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Jun-20-05, 12:40 PM (EST)
1. "RE: volume of an arch"
In response to message #0

  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Jun-25-05, 08:14 PM (EST)
2. "RE: volume of an arch"
In response to message #0
   I do not really what you means by an arch. I take its architectural sense

So I imagine that you want to know the volume under an arch of a certain lenght like the volumen of a vault, if that is your case, you must find the area under or inside the arch as a function of its lenght "x" let us call that area A(x)and then integregate A(x)dx between 0 and L, where L stands for the lenght of the vault.

The above it is assuming that the arch is changing its shape so A(x) is variable. If A is constant, now what you have to find is A and it depends of the shape of the arch, it could almost inmmediate if the shape is an easy one: any combination of circular, eliptical, parabolic or other integrable function what it is the usual case in architecture.
If it is not you must resort on numerical method like, Simpsom or Trapezoidal rules or other most sofisticated like Newton-Cotes, Tchebicheff,... not a big deal anyway.

If you give more details I may help you.

  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Conferences | Forums | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

You may be curious to have a look at the old CTK Exchange archive.
Please do not post there.

|Front page| |Contents|

Copyright © 1996-2018 Alexander Bogomolny