p is a remarkable number. Books, chapters and web pages have been written to describe its various facets. There are even people crazy about it.
Have you noticed that
- The last 5 digits in the expansion I cite are a palindrome 32823
- There is another one starting with th 19th digit: 46264
- Among 115 digits after the decimal point there are the following pairs: 33, 88, 99, 44, 99, 11
- There is a 5-digit stretch consisting entirely of powers of 2: 82148
- There is another consisting of multiples of 3: 69399
I also wrote a page, almost a lesson plan, suitable for middle schoolers. Determination of p.
- J. Arndt, C. Haenel, π Unleashed, Springer, 2000